Skip to main content

WTB Velociraptor MTB Tires Review


Let's face it, you never know when you are going to need new tires. A nasty thorn, a sharp nail or in my case a construction staple can find its way through your old skins. It is inevitable that you'll need to change up. I had been rolling on my Schwalbe Rapid Robs for a good year. I was very happy with their performance especially considering the price. My Rapid Rob review has become the number one most read story on my blog. So, I decided to record the adventures of my new rear replacement tire.

My local shop Real Bikes Englewood sold me a WTB Velociraptor 2.1. With front and rear specific treads the Velociraptors are a gnarly trail lovers dream pair. They first came out in 1994 and have been tearing up the muck ever since. Granted, jumping from the small, fast rolling knobs of the Rapid Rob to the huge paddles of the Velociraptor is a big leap but I assure you it was a necessary change.


Once again I know what you're thinking. You're thinking; Alex, you live in Florida. It's not exactly the land of technical riding. It's more like a giant sand bar sitting on a reef of limestone and phosphorous. True again but what better way to push through the beach than to have a rear tire designed for unconstrained obstacles. The Velociraptor can handle rocks and roots but it is also built to power through loose gravel and sand.

The durable DNA rubber was a little heavier than the Robs. In fact the tire could almost stand up on its own. The thickness of the huge knobs and concave paddles inspired confidence in the tire's ability to handle the toughest conditions. The latest version has 27 tpi and is advertised as "Impervious" so it would take a lot more than a staple to flatten this bad boy.


As for making a change, the tire fit with ease. The Velociraptor slid on the rim and it took a minimum of air to fill it. I immediately decided to address my only real worry - rolling resistance. Being that I was in the final week of training for a big race, I decided to take the tire out for a long mixed terrain ride. What followed was 32 miles of mostly road but also dirt, sand and gravel. On the pavement I could hear a medium hum from the rear. I did feel a little drag, a little extra weight but in all, it didn't slow me down. Off road it was a beast. The side knobs made tight turns a breeze and the paddles propelled me through low sand with no hesitation or slippage.

The second test was a nighttime group ride on bumpy singletrack. Here the rear tire gripped like velcro. I tore through that 6 mile stretch in my fastest time. I never had to worry about washing out or sliding around a corner. The Velociraptor planted itself in the dirt, sand or grass and boosted me forward. The large knobs provided a little more padding when I bumped over roots and logs making for a slightly less bouncy ride.


The final test was the 50 mile race I had been training for. You can read the full Tour de Picayune report here but specifically, that brutish rear tire was a mixed blessing. On the plus side it allowed me to carve the grass singletrack, bounce easily through rocky sections and thump over obstacles. It looked like I was going to have a good race except for one area - the deep sand.

The narrow 2.1 tire literally dug a hole in the sand traps bringing me to a complete stop. Had this happened only once or twice I could blame the sugar sand but no, it happened about fifty times. This was the wrong tire for such a demanding course and I paid for it as the energy was sapped from my legs.

Since it is rare for me to face this kind of deep sand I will continue to ride the WTB Velociraptor tire in the coming months and I'll update this review as conditions change. In the meantime you can read more about it at the website below.



 Click here to see Alex's complete library

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CST Patrol MTB Tire Review

I've always been a sucker for cheap tires. In part because I'm a starving artist but also because riders tend to pay too much when it comes to upgrading their bikes. For example: How often have you seen a recreational rider purchase top of the line tires because they save him a few grams in weight? In most cases, if you really want to cut a few grams put down the cheeseburger. When it comes to mountain bike tires my measurement of quality sits at the apex between cost and consistency. For this reason I'm a huge fan of Schwalbe's Rapid Rob tires ( Read that review here ). While I'm still running a Rapid Rob on the front of my bike, I decided to try something new on the rear. Something even cheaper. Introducing the CST Patrol. For about $26. the 26" by 2.25" version of the CST Patrol is uber cheap. You get a wire bead, a weight of 780 grams with a single rubber compound but no EPS (Exceptional Puncture Safety) which can be found on other ve

Schwalbe Rapid Rob MTB Tire Review

Schwalbe has an excellent reputation for putting out stellar, high quality MTB tires. The up side has been their grip and superior compounds, the down side has been their prices, that is until now. The New Rapid Rob follows a long tradition of tires named with the alliterative double R, like Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron. Not a bad tradition to be a part of. So, what is different with the Rapid Rob that we haven't seen before? I bought a pair of 26 by 2.10 and put them on my bike to find out.

Bike Review: 2014 Raleigh Talus 29er

I have only ever tested a handful of 29ers. I generally found them to be more stable, aggressive on technical downhills with laid out geometry that felt race focused. While that sense of balance and control left a positive impression, I have never been able to afford such a beast. However, I will get to race one. Bicycles International of Venice and Luksha Reconstruction noticed my recent boost in name recognition, mostly due to the popularity of my book Twisted Trails . Then I told them about my ambitious racing schedule so they decided to sponsor me for the 2015 season. What I needed most was a bike good enough for cross country racing and gravel grinders. It didn't have to be a world beater but it had to stand a step above my now beat up Trek Four Series. Admittedly, that would be an easy task. "What kind of bikes do you see at the races?" asked Jason Luksha, owner of Luksha Reconstruction. While the trends have been fluctuating over the years between 26, 27