Uber Passenger Becomes Inspiration For Emotional Song
One great thing about being an Uber driver is the people you meet. Many love to talk and share their life stories. Once in a while that story is inspirational enough to become a song.
During a long ride a passenger named Jennifer told me her story and I couldn't shake it from my mind. Jennifer was unique. She was adopted and abused as a child but grew up in a family that believed in education. She has three advanced degrees all in completely different vocations. When I met her she had just broken free from the grip of homelessness having lost the family home in a court battle. She had many different jobs over the years and lived in almost every state in America. She was struggling with a rare form of cancer but had been wrongly diagnosed and they told her she would be dead within a year, that was eighteen years ago. Despite being disabled by disease she continued to run a non-profit legal fund for children who had been sexually assaulted.
While it would be impossible to fit all of that in a song, what I focused on was her emotional journey. Despite the advanced degrees, endless energy and ambition, Jennifer always struggled with her flight or fight reflex. It seemed to often get the better of her. That is something I deeply understand as I had the same problem. Something emotional would happen and the person would fight, run or freeze up. Jennifer told me there is another step beyond the reaction called Thaw. This is when a person embraces the fear and works their way through it, allowing the emotions to calm before making a decision. Others might call it being steadfast in the face of adversity.
While the song is only a slice of her story, it's the part a lot of people can relate to. I wish Jennifer all the best and hope I see her again. Here I give you Jenny Would Run, enjoy!

Comments
Post a Comment