Skip to main content

The 2011 Jamis Durango Femme Bike


I love Ebay but I cannot win a bid to save my life. Every time I step up the plate someone snipes me at the last moment and the I lose the deal. The only time I get the product is when no one else notices it. This is where you can sometimes get lucky.

I was scouring Ebay looking for a mountain bike for my wife when I stumbled on the 2011 version of the Jamis Durango Femme. It was used and being sold by a pawn shop in Idaho who clearly didn't understand its value. I put in a bid and crossed my fingers, a week later it was delivered vacuum sealed in a pile of bubble wrap the size of a car.


For starters the Durango is a beautiful bike. The curvature of the frame and gently thinning top tube suggests a measure of grace. Built for the fairer sex, the Femme is not a weak link in the MTB chain. In fact it is quite the opposite. Aggressive GEAX Barro Mountain tires can handle the roughest terrain while mechanical disc brakes provide ample stopping power. It is outfitted with all the Shimano and SRAM toys that could be reasonable fit onto a entry level bike while maintaining a low retail price.

My wife liked the bike from first glance. She normally doesn't go for girly colors but the Femme is 30 pounds worth of aluminum shuck and jive that won't be afraid of any trail. While it is easy to assume toughness, she only needed to ride it to find out how tough.


Four rides and 47 miles later the Dakota's legend is growing. The Barro Mountain tires thrive on rugged terrain, the bumpier the better. The disc brakes will likely not be challenged by Florida's flat trails. My wife was able to keep up in groups rides through sand, grass, roots and pave. The bike clearly contributed to her comfort and speed.

It took a few miles before the front disc stopped making a light rubbing sound and we did have to make minor adjustments to the seat but these are normal for any newish bike. The only thing that might have to go is the grips which despite being "Dual Compound" tend to rattle her hands into a bit of pain.


The expectations on any entry level bike are low but the Durango exceeds well. It has easy handling, a comfortable saddle and rapid fire shifters. It sits exactly in the middle of the market on price but far above average on good looks. It's the kind of starter bike that a person falls in love with and so far my sweetheart has no complaints.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CST Patrol MTB Tire Review

I've always been a sucker for cheap tires. In part because I'm a starving artist but also because riders tend to pay too much when it comes to upgrading their bikes. For example: How often have you seen a recreational rider purchase top of the line tires because they save him a few grams in weight? In most cases, if you really want to cut a few grams put down the cheeseburger. When it comes to mountain bike tires my measurement of quality sits at the apex between cost and consistency. For this reason I'm a huge fan of Schwalbe's Rapid Rob tires ( Read that review here ). While I'm still running a Rapid Rob on the front of my bike, I decided to try something new on the rear. Something even cheaper. Introducing the CST Patrol. For about $26. the 26" by 2.25" version of the CST Patrol is uber cheap. You get a wire bead, a weight of 780 grams with a single rubber compound but no EPS (Exceptional Puncture Safety) which can be found on other ve

Schwalbe Rapid Rob MTB Tire Review

Schwalbe has an excellent reputation for putting out stellar, high quality MTB tires. The up side has been their grip and superior compounds, the down side has been their prices, that is until now. The New Rapid Rob follows a long tradition of tires named with the alliterative double R, like Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron. Not a bad tradition to be a part of. So, what is different with the Rapid Rob that we haven't seen before? I bought a pair of 26 by 2.10 and put them on my bike to find out.

Bike Review: 2014 Raleigh Talus 29er

I have only ever tested a handful of 29ers. I generally found them to be more stable, aggressive on technical downhills with laid out geometry that felt race focused. While that sense of balance and control left a positive impression, I have never been able to afford such a beast. However, I will get to race one. Bicycles International of Venice and Luksha Reconstruction noticed my recent boost in name recognition, mostly due to the popularity of my book Twisted Trails . Then I told them about my ambitious racing schedule so they decided to sponsor me for the 2015 season. What I needed most was a bike good enough for cross country racing and gravel grinders. It didn't have to be a world beater but it had to stand a step above my now beat up Trek Four Series. Admittedly, that would be an easy task. "What kind of bikes do you see at the races?" asked Jason Luksha, owner of Luksha Reconstruction. While the trends have been fluctuating over the years between 26, 27