Skip to main content

Capitol City Chaos Amateur Tournament Recap

 

Amateur axes were flying in Albany, New York as Generation Axe hosted its very first WATL Tier 3 tournament with the epic name Capitol City Chaos. That's right folks it is important to have an epic name for your tournament to heighten the bragging rights. With 21 throwers in the Amateur brackets and exciting battles throughout the morning, Capitol City Chaos did not disappoint!

"People signed up so fast! I could tell we were going to have a big crowd." Joe Handy wanted to test the waters to see how much enthusiasm there would be for a WATL tournament in upstate New York. Competitive throwers from all disciplines eagerly traveled from Ohio, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and New Hampshire to answer the call.

The level of competition was at its peak for an amateur tournament. The top three seeds Gary "Dragon" Dayter, Don Barnes and your author Alex "TaskMaster" Hutchinson battled their way into the top five positions. I have never been in so many wars! My match with Don ended in sudden death. My match with Gary was a crazy comeback in the third round. Both men pushed me to become a better thrower in order to keep hope alive.

The star of the tournament was 12th seed Ben Bingert. Ben defeated Gary to face me in the A bracket finals where I was defeated and then had to face Gary in the B bracket finals. The rematch with Ben was more of the same as his confidence and wisdom as a competitor showed that he was a step above. During one round I had an unfortunate drop so Ben deliberately dropped his Axe as well. "I don't want to win that way," he said as we both picked them up off the floor. No one else that day could have been more deserving of a victory.

Generation Axe is a fun venue that hosted a great event! They have a very colorful set-up with so many things to keep you occupied. In addition to the competition boards and projector games, they also have Blo darts, Corn hole, a throwers lounge, outdoor benches and a great bar. The staff was so friendly and went out of their way to run a smooth show. Shout out to Joe, Jim, Amber, Miranda and Steven.

Check my Youtube page where individual matches will be posted.

Amateur Tournament Results

1. Ben Bingert (Bury the Hatchet)

2. Alex "TaskMaster" Hutchinson (Longhouse Axe)

3. Gary "Dragon" Dayter

4. Don Barnes (Blind Squirrels)


Photos and videos by Irisrose Douze

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schwalbe Rapid Rob MTB Tire Review

Schwalbe has an excellent reputation for putting out stellar, high quality MTB tires. The up side has been their grip and superior compounds, the down side has been their prices, that is until now. The New Rapid Rob follows a long tradition of tires named with the alliterative double R, like Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron. Not a bad tradition to be a part of. So, what is different with the Rapid Rob that we haven't seen before? I bought a pair of 26 by 2.10 and put them on my bike to find out.

CST Patrol MTB Tire Review

I've always been a sucker for cheap tires. In part because I'm a starving artist but also because riders tend to pay too much when it comes to upgrading their bikes. For example: How often have you seen a recreational rider purchase top of the line tires because they save him a few grams in weight? In most cases, if you really want to cut a few grams put down the cheeseburger. When it comes to mountain bike tires my measurement of quality sits at the apex between cost and consistency. For this reason I'm a huge fan of Schwalbe's Rapid Rob tires ( Read that review here ). While I'm still running a Rapid Rob on the front of my bike, I decided to try something new on the rear. Something even cheaper. Introducing the CST Patrol. For about $26. the 26" by 2.25" version of the CST Patrol is uber cheap. You get a wire bead, a weight of 780 grams with a single rubber compound but no EPS (Exceptional Puncture Safety) which can be found on other ve

Bike Review: 2014 Raleigh Talus 29er

I have only ever tested a handful of 29ers. I generally found them to be more stable, aggressive on technical downhills with laid out geometry that felt race focused. While that sense of balance and control left a positive impression, I have never been able to afford such a beast. However, I will get to race one. Bicycles International of Venice and Luksha Reconstruction noticed my recent boost in name recognition, mostly due to the popularity of my book Twisted Trails . Then I told them about my ambitious racing schedule so they decided to sponsor me for the 2015 season. What I needed most was a bike good enough for cross country racing and gravel grinders. It didn't have to be a world beater but it had to stand a step above my now beat up Trek Four Series. Admittedly, that would be an easy task. "What kind of bikes do you see at the races?" asked Jason Luksha, owner of Luksha Reconstruction. While the trends have been fluctuating over the years between 26, 27