Skip to main content

The Bullmag A365 Throwing Axe Review

 

I like to write articles that I wish existed when I first tried a new sport. Most of the time writers focus only on what the top athletes are doing and don't spend enough time on how to get started. A few weeks ago I wrote an article on completing my first season of Axe throwing. The next step is to review a new Axe that is making its way onto the scene - The Bullmag A365.

My name is Alex Hutchinson, I'm an amateur hatchet thrower and longtime adventure writer. My home base is Longhouse Axe in Plymouth, Massachusetts. I compete in the World Axe Throwing League. At the time of this review I have already participated in a Hatchet League, a Marathon and a Tier 3 Tournament. The point is, I've gotten in a good 10,000 throws and can feel the difference between various Axes.

The Axes I have worked with include The Killshot, The Ace of Spades, The Butcher, The Corporal and The Commander. I started off by using the WATL Killshot on an outdoor target then I proceeded to the Ace of Spades. Finally I ended up on the Commander as my competition Axe. However, as I progressed as a thrower it became obvious that I would need something more professional.

The Bullmag A365 is a genius creation in that it was engineered specifically for precision Axe throwing. In other words each part of the Axe was designed with the balance and toughness needed for countless throws. The blade is a unique stainless steel known as "BullSteel" that they developed for strength and longevity. The handle is made of aerospace grade carbon fiber. They have so much faith in this product that they offer a lifetime warranty.

For throwers it is important to note that the Bullmag A365 is WATL legal as it fits the technical specs for competitive use. Those stats and more technical details are all available on the Bullmag website.

First Impressions

Pros: This is a beautiful Axe. The carbon fiber handle has a wood grain look to it in dark gray. The blade can be purchased in either stone wash or satin finish. There are sticker skins in a variety of colors that you can buy to make the Axe uniquely your own. You can even purchase one of their leather sleeves to sheath the Axe head.

Cons: The cost is high. The A365 sells for $256. plus shipping which came out to $273. Even the MO2 sleeves cost $69. but you can get them engraved. Shipping was kind of an issue as well. You will get one or two confirmation e-mails but the tracking number for USPS Ground didn't appear until four days after the expected delivery date. Ultimately it took almost 3 weeks to arrive.

Fresh out of the box the Bullmag A365 is impressive but it is also different. I had to adjust to the rectangular carbon fiber handle as opposed to the wooden oval of the Commander. I had to adjust to the length as it is a full 19 inches long. The narrow blade allowed for easy penetration into a spruce target that is pretty beat up.

I knew that I would have to change my throw a little but they were easy changes. My usual practice was to see how many throws it takes to hit 12 targets of various sizes and placement. My best score is 27. On the first try with the Bullmag I matched my best score. After a few more tweaks I was able to line up with a target 6 times in a row on 5 occasions.

Important notes: The instruction manual cautions that this Axe is to be used ONLY for throwing. Any other usage that causes damage will probably not be covered by the warranty. Considering the cost of the item, it should only be purchased by experienced throwers.

The full 19 inch length would probably be cumbersome for most people. It can be shortened. Cutting Carbon fiber is a bit trickier than cutting wood so make sure you know what you are doing. Bullmag has a video about that process on their Youtube page.

I will be posting my competition experiences with the Bullmag A365. Feel free to check back to this story for updates or just follow me on Facebook.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CST Patrol MTB Tire Review

I've always been a sucker for cheap tires. In part because I'm a starving artist but also because riders tend to pay too much when it comes to upgrading their bikes. For example: How often have you seen a recreational rider purchase top of the line tires because they save him a few grams in weight? In most cases, if you really want to cut a few grams put down the cheeseburger. When it comes to mountain bike tires my measurement of quality sits at the apex between cost and consistency. For this reason I'm a huge fan of Schwalbe's Rapid Rob tires ( Read that review here ). While I'm still running a Rapid Rob on the front of my bike, I decided to try something new on the rear. Something even cheaper. Introducing the CST Patrol. For about $26. the 26" by 2.25" version of the CST Patrol is uber cheap. You get a wire bead, a weight of 780 grams with a single rubber compound but no EPS (Exceptional Puncture Safety) which can be found on other ve

Schwalbe Rapid Rob MTB Tire Review

Schwalbe has an excellent reputation for putting out stellar, high quality MTB tires. The up side has been their grip and superior compounds, the down side has been their prices, that is until now. The New Rapid Rob follows a long tradition of tires named with the alliterative double R, like Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron. Not a bad tradition to be a part of. So, what is different with the Rapid Rob that we haven't seen before? I bought a pair of 26 by 2.10 and put them on my bike to find out.

Bike Review: 2014 Raleigh Talus 29er

I have only ever tested a handful of 29ers. I generally found them to be more stable, aggressive on technical downhills with laid out geometry that felt race focused. While that sense of balance and control left a positive impression, I have never been able to afford such a beast. However, I will get to race one. Bicycles International of Venice and Luksha Reconstruction noticed my recent boost in name recognition, mostly due to the popularity of my book Twisted Trails . Then I told them about my ambitious racing schedule so they decided to sponsor me for the 2015 season. What I needed most was a bike good enough for cross country racing and gravel grinders. It didn't have to be a world beater but it had to stand a step above my now beat up Trek Four Series. Admittedly, that would be an easy task. "What kind of bikes do you see at the races?" asked Jason Luksha, owner of Luksha Reconstruction. While the trends have been fluctuating over the years between 26, 27