Skip to main content

Learn to Throw Axes with accuracy in only 30 Days

It might sound like a lazy sales pitch but truth be told you can actually learn to throw axes fairly well in a short amount of time. My name is Alex Hutchinson and I'm what you might you call a Taskmaster. I dive into a new sport every couple years and get fairly good at them rather quickly.

Why should you listen to me? I started as a kid doing team sports like soccer, baseball and basketball. As a teenager I dove into wrestling, boxing and martial arts. By my thirties I was driving hard in BMX racing and running. I spent several years mountain biking with some cyclocross on the side and even gave the Highland Games a try in my forties. Now at 50 years old I'm shoulder deep in my 12th sport.

Alex and his track mates at Charlotte BMX

As an adventure writer this type of immersion training was sort of my job and it taught me how to learn just about anything in a short period of time. Don't get me wrong I've never been a National or World Champion but I have earned enough trophies and medals from different sports to fill a warehouse. Okay, now that I'm done bragging let's talk about Axe throwing.

I officially started throwing at a Halloween party in October 2023. Even after receiving some basic instructions I could only stick it in the target about half the time. I'm not unfamiliar with the concept as I have thrown at a few Renaissance faires. A week later I attempted my first score by using World Axe Throwing League Standard rules and managed 18 out of a possible 64. Then I dove into my usual training methods and 30 days later my high score was 56 with a 51 average. So, how did I do it?

There are four steps that I take to immerse myself into a new sport. I can't guarantee that these will triple your WATL score in 30 days but they will certainly help. At the very least you might get a few new resources to further your Axe throwing journey.

Step 1: Watch the Pros - Professional athletes inspire us by performing amazing feats at the highest level. Sometimes they make it look so easy that we decide to give it a try. It's never as easy as it looks. When I started Mountain biking I watched DVDs about Pros downhill racing on some of the most rugged trails on earth. I marveled at their bike handling, paid close attention to their body language, angle of attack and line choices. Later I would emulate these skills at my own DH events as I tackled mountains in New Hampshire, Vermont and Colorado. You would be surprised how much of it sticks with you.

In Axe throwing you can learn a lot from watching the World Axe Throwing Championships. The way the competitors stand, lean, focus and make decisions on when to hit that kill shot. You can also get hints on competition etiquette, demeanor and goals. These people are the best for many reasons. You might even model one of their throwing styles to see if it works for you.

Step 2: Be Studious - Read every book, watch every video, take courses, classes, seminars and listen to advice. The novelist L.Ron Hubbard once said that to learn a new subject read ten books about it from authors that disagree with each other, that way you will understand it from all sides. I have used this advice throughout my life when approaching new areas of study and it is invaluable. It was particularly useful when I worked in politics, ugh.

In Axe throwing this means reading Ryan Smit's amazing book The Perfect Throw, listening to Bill Feinberg's Axe Throwing Podcast, watching How-To videos from WATL's Founder Mario Zelaya and taking pointers from the people who run your local Axe throwing club. 

It also helps to build your own home target, buy your own Axes and team up with friends who also enjoy the sport. Don't have friends? See if your local club has a Facebook league group or join the WATL discussion group. You can also hit up the Axe throwing Subreddit. Axe throwers are a decent community, someone is always willing to give you the benefit of their experience.

Step 3: Make it a Game - This is often easy to do with sports because they are already a game but your training can be a game as well. In basketball I came up with one where I would shoot free throws and give myself two points for every swish. If I missed, I would rush for the rebound as if I was playing for real. I would shoot again from wherever I caught it, any missed shot would be two points for the other team.

In Axe throwing you can decorate your home board any way you want. Make multiple targets at different heights and give them a points system. One trick is to make the targets smaller than the official ones you will find at the club. You can also go to a recreational Axe club where they have projectors that show alternate or moving targets on a wood background. On Youtube there are many different games ready made to play. Do anything that will make throwing fun. The more you throw, the more chances you have to get better at it.

Step 4: Embrace your New Identity - When you are new at something there is a tendency to feel like a fake. This is called imposter syndrome. The cure is to act as if you are already a professional and do so until you get professional results. You can learn a lot in a short period of time by doing it every day, living the life of an athlete and accepting it as part of yourself.

In Axe throwing this means waking up bright and early to get in those warm-up throws. Keeping notes on your progress, scores and detailed accounts of your stance and weather conditions (If you are throwing outside). Try different types of axes to determine what is best for your style. Maintain a schedule of practices to keep yourself on track for improvement. 

Sign up for everything just like a Pro would. Join that Tuesday throw night, try a marathon or a seasonal league. Be fearless and consistent. Mindful practice + discipline = success.

The Sasquash 15k MTB/Trail run race

Fun story, one time I attended a Mountain bike race/Trail run race in Venice, Florida. Lots of runners showed up but only one other mountain biker and it was her first time. I stayed with her through the entire ride so she wouldn't get lost. We talked, looked at animals near the route and enjoyed the scenery. At the finish we were greeted with plaques as Overall Winners. You don't always have to be great to succeed, sometimes you just have to show up.

I hope these ideas have been valuable and I can't wait to see you at the tournaments. 

Feel free to friend me on Facebook or follow my Youtube page.

Alex "Taskmaster" Hutchinson


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CST Patrol MTB Tire Review

I've always been a sucker for cheap tires. In part because I'm a starving artist but also because riders tend to pay too much when it comes to upgrading their bikes. For example: How often have you seen a recreational rider purchase top of the line tires because they save him a few grams in weight? In most cases, if you really want to cut a few grams put down the cheeseburger. When it comes to mountain bike tires my measurement of quality sits at the apex between cost and consistency. For this reason I'm a huge fan of Schwalbe's Rapid Rob tires ( Read that review here ). While I'm still running a Rapid Rob on the front of my bike, I decided to try something new on the rear. Something even cheaper. Introducing the CST Patrol. For about $26. the 26" by 2.25" version of the CST Patrol is uber cheap. You get a wire bead, a weight of 780 grams with a single rubber compound but no EPS (Exceptional Puncture Safety) which can be found on other ve

Schwalbe Rapid Rob MTB Tire Review

Schwalbe has an excellent reputation for putting out stellar, high quality MTB tires. The up side has been their grip and superior compounds, the down side has been their prices, that is until now. The New Rapid Rob follows a long tradition of tires named with the alliterative double R, like Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron. Not a bad tradition to be a part of. So, what is different with the Rapid Rob that we haven't seen before? I bought a pair of 26 by 2.10 and put them on my bike to find out.

Bike Review: 2014 Raleigh Talus 29er

I have only ever tested a handful of 29ers. I generally found them to be more stable, aggressive on technical downhills with laid out geometry that felt race focused. While that sense of balance and control left a positive impression, I have never been able to afford such a beast. However, I will get to race one. Bicycles International of Venice and Luksha Reconstruction noticed my recent boost in name recognition, mostly due to the popularity of my book Twisted Trails . Then I told them about my ambitious racing schedule so they decided to sponsor me for the 2015 season. What I needed most was a bike good enough for cross country racing and gravel grinders. It didn't have to be a world beater but it had to stand a step above my now beat up Trek Four Series. Admittedly, that would be an easy task. "What kind of bikes do you see at the races?" asked Jason Luksha, owner of Luksha Reconstruction. While the trends have been fluctuating over the years between 26, 27