Skip to main content

Alex Helps Kickstart The Last Kumite

Cynthia Rothrock

 The early years of my life were built on a massive pile of martial arts movies. It was the one genre I could not get enough of. From the tornado kicks of Bruce Lee to the masculine brute force of Chuck Norris, I rented a new film nearly every day for four years straight. In addition there were random karate films on TV and kung fu theater on Saturday mornings. If you add cartoons and comic books, I was swimming in an ocean of chop saki action. In my world everybody really was kung fu fighting.

While I loved them all, there were a select few that really ignited my passion. The first was The Karate Kid (1984). This story of  a misplaced youth being trained by an old Japanese man to face down the school bullies really touched home for me. I was a skinny white kid dealing with similar issues. Hell, I even looked like Daniel Larusso, same haircut and everything. This was the movie that I used to convince my parents to finally sign me up for karate.

Billy Blanks

The second film was The Last Dragon (1985). Leroy Green was raised by his martial arts teacher to chase down an illusive level of mastery known as The Glow. This semi-musical romp through Mo-Town showed a more comical side to the martial arts that has been appreciated in later years. This was followed by No Retreat, No Surrender (1986). Jason moves to a new town only to face off with bullies who also know the arts. He is then trained by the ghost of Bruce Lee. This became my personal fantasy. 

This was the golden era of fighting movies. In rapid succession the hits just kept coming. BloodSport (1988) The movie that brought us superstar Jean Claude Van Damn. It also inspired mixed martial arts competitions and the Mortal Kombat video games. Best of the Best (1989) brought us the talent of Philip Rhee by following a fictional U.S. National Tae Known Do team to the Olympics. Bloodfist (1989) Introduced real life kickboxing champion Don "The Dragon" Wilson and future Tae Bo creator Billy Blanks. 

Kurt McKinney

These movies meant the world to me. In fact I dreamed of being in them. After more than a decade of studying martial arts and developing a style of my own, I decided to write a script. My film was supposed to be the sequel to BloodSport. However they were already working on one so I had to change the title. In 1998 my brothers, their friends and I bought a VHS camera and filmed All American Kumite. 

We used every ounce of our martial arts knowledge combined with brutal hours of choreography to create a pretty terrible movie with some half decent fight scenes. When it was all done we were so happy with the process that we went on to develop and film ten more movies. These fun, low budget flicks never saw the light of day except for random clips on Youtube.


So, why am I telling you all of this? As I explained in another article about Breaking into the Movie Business, I have taken an interest in supporting new projects. My latest is the upcoming film titled "The Last Kumite." This old school martial arts romp was meant to scratch that nostalgic itch for people like myself who loved those old 80s and 90s tournament battles. 

The Last Kumite was written by Sean David Lowe and will be directed by Ross W. Clarkson. The cast is a who's who of martial arts stars including Cynthis Rothrock (China O'Brien), Billy Blanks (King of the Kickboxers) and Kurt McKinney (No Retreat, No Surrender) among others. Songs will be provided by the legendary Stan Bush (Transformers: The Movie) with score by Paul Herzog (Kickboxer).

The Last Kumite - Fan Art

Financing was raised on Kickstarter with an initial goal of 165k but they made more than 195k backed by over 700 supporters. The movie will begin filming in June 2023 and is slated to be released in 2024. I took a funding position just like with the other project "You Can Call Me Bill," so my name will also be listed in the credits of The Last Kumite.

I'm thrilled to be a part of this movie. It is exactly the type of project I have been aspiring towards. So, stretch out those muscles and squeeze into your Gi one last time for this bad ass trip down memory lane. I will be posting updates on the film as it moves forward. Wish us all luck. Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CST Patrol MTB Tire Review

I've always been a sucker for cheap tires. In part because I'm a starving artist but also because riders tend to pay too much when it comes to upgrading their bikes. For example: How often have you seen a recreational rider purchase top of the line tires because they save him a few grams in weight? In most cases, if you really want to cut a few grams put down the cheeseburger. When it comes to mountain bike tires my measurement of quality sits at the apex between cost and consistency. For this reason I'm a huge fan of Schwalbe's Rapid Rob tires ( Read that review here ). While I'm still running a Rapid Rob on the front of my bike, I decided to try something new on the rear. Something even cheaper. Introducing the CST Patrol. For about $26. the 26" by 2.25" version of the CST Patrol is uber cheap. You get a wire bead, a weight of 780 grams with a single rubber compound but no EPS (Exceptional Puncture Safety) which can be found on other ve

Schwalbe Rapid Rob MTB Tire Review

Schwalbe has an excellent reputation for putting out stellar, high quality MTB tires. The up side has been their grip and superior compounds, the down side has been their prices, that is until now. The New Rapid Rob follows a long tradition of tires named with the alliterative double R, like Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron. Not a bad tradition to be a part of. So, what is different with the Rapid Rob that we haven't seen before? I bought a pair of 26 by 2.10 and put them on my bike to find out.

Bike Review: 2014 Raleigh Talus 29er

I have only ever tested a handful of 29ers. I generally found them to be more stable, aggressive on technical downhills with laid out geometry that felt race focused. While that sense of balance and control left a positive impression, I have never been able to afford such a beast. However, I will get to race one. Bicycles International of Venice and Luksha Reconstruction noticed my recent boost in name recognition, mostly due to the popularity of my book Twisted Trails . Then I told them about my ambitious racing schedule so they decided to sponsor me for the 2015 season. What I needed most was a bike good enough for cross country racing and gravel grinders. It didn't have to be a world beater but it had to stand a step above my now beat up Trek Four Series. Admittedly, that would be an easy task. "What kind of bikes do you see at the races?" asked Jason Luksha, owner of Luksha Reconstruction. While the trends have been fluctuating over the years between 26, 27