Skip to main content

Manikins & The Meaning of Goth

Alex & Iris at Manikin's Freak Show Friday

I had never been comfortable in a nightclub before but this place was different. Was it the music? Was it the laser lights and deepening fog? Was it the friendly bar tenders and reasonably priced drinks? No, none of those things ever meant that much to me. So why was it when I walked through the red door at Manikins Goth Club in Sanford, Florida did I feel so comfortable? What did this place trigger in me?

Manikin's lounge & nightclub is the creation of Tom Morris, a black entrepreneur who wanted to cultivate a unique experience in a town where local businesses weirdly lack diversity. I say weirdly because Sanford is 46% black or mixed race. That is a high percentage in a state full of retired white people. Sanford has over 1,300 businesses and yet less than 50 are black owned. That is usually a signal that a lot of voices are not being heard.

Alex, Terri and Gene at Manikins Halloween night

So is diversity the key? Look, I'm a Waspy Bostonian so this is not my area of expertise. Diversity might not be the key but it is certainly a part of the puzzle. To find my personal comfort trigger we might have to dig a little deeper. Maybe the appeal lies in the aesthetic environment that Tom has cultivated. Maybe it is the dark wave aura spun by DJ Paul Vaine. Maybe we need to have a better understanding of what it means to be Goth.

Goth is a worldwide subculture that rebels against societal norms. It is the crossroads of horror and romance, the combination of Stygian fashion and sexual inclusion. Goths are self-defined, grounded in realism and strong believers in individual freedom. They express themselves through somber music, black clothing and cryptic cosmetics. They may display tattoos, piercings or symbols that beckon witchcraft or satanism. However, while they might be spiritual they are often not religious. They are not confined by any dogma or ideology.


Goths are in the unique position of being both passionate and cynical. They are kinky, curious and playful especially when it comes to costumes. Halloween isn't just their favorite holiday, they celebrate it all year long and Manikins gives them a place to do it. 

Diversity, self-identity and inclusion, those seem like pretty good reasons to feel comfortable. It probably helps that there is so much to do there. Between burlesque shows, drag queen performances, live music and special events there is always a reason to stop in. Plus, there is a human bird cage, a stripper pole, blow up dolls and a whole lot of mannequins. The later into the night you stay, the crazier it gets. 

In the past two years I've become accustomed to letting my hair down, wearing my black clothes, painting my nails and putting in my pentacle earring for a night out. In the beginning Manikins was the only place I felt comfortable dressing this way. Now I wear it almost everywhere. It is my formal attire and no one seems to care. Quite the opposite, I get complimented on my sense of style. Perhaps I should get complimented on my choice of friends and where we decide to spend our time.

Mike, Terri, Iris and Alex on burlesque night

It is often fascinating to wonder what makes a place magnetic, what draws people from miles around. Manikins is one of those places. It is filling a need not so easily defined by demographics or cultural trends. It provides a party with a purpose, an enigma within a spectacle. The question shouldn't be, Why does a black man own a goth club? The question should be, Why don't more?

We should be celebrating those unique people who shatter expectations to generate something distinctive in this world. These whimsical eccentricities are proof that the fire of human imagination is still burning strong.

ManikinsLounge.com

Alex & Tara on the Pole

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CST Patrol MTB Tire Review

I've always been a sucker for cheap tires. In part because I'm a starving artist but also because riders tend to pay too much when it comes to upgrading their bikes. For example: How often have you seen a recreational rider purchase top of the line tires because they save him a few grams in weight? In most cases, if you really want to cut a few grams put down the cheeseburger. When it comes to mountain bike tires my measurement of quality sits at the apex between cost and consistency. For this reason I'm a huge fan of Schwalbe's Rapid Rob tires ( Read that review here ). While I'm still running a Rapid Rob on the front of my bike, I decided to try something new on the rear. Something even cheaper. Introducing the CST Patrol. For about $26. the 26" by 2.25" version of the CST Patrol is uber cheap. You get a wire bead, a weight of 780 grams with a single rubber compound but no EPS (Exceptional Puncture Safety) which can be found on other ve

Schwalbe Rapid Rob MTB Tire Review

Schwalbe has an excellent reputation for putting out stellar, high quality MTB tires. The up side has been their grip and superior compounds, the down side has been their prices, that is until now. The New Rapid Rob follows a long tradition of tires named with the alliterative double R, like Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron. Not a bad tradition to be a part of. So, what is different with the Rapid Rob that we haven't seen before? I bought a pair of 26 by 2.10 and put them on my bike to find out.

Bike Review: 2014 Raleigh Talus 29er

I have only ever tested a handful of 29ers. I generally found them to be more stable, aggressive on technical downhills with laid out geometry that felt race focused. While that sense of balance and control left a positive impression, I have never been able to afford such a beast. However, I will get to race one. Bicycles International of Venice and Luksha Reconstruction noticed my recent boost in name recognition, mostly due to the popularity of my book Twisted Trails . Then I told them about my ambitious racing schedule so they decided to sponsor me for the 2015 season. What I needed most was a bike good enough for cross country racing and gravel grinders. It didn't have to be a world beater but it had to stand a step above my now beat up Trek Four Series. Admittedly, that would be an easy task. "What kind of bikes do you see at the races?" asked Jason Luksha, owner of Luksha Reconstruction. While the trends have been fluctuating over the years between 26, 27