Skip to main content

Confessions of a Recovering Egomaniac



Today is my 43rd birthday and I'm still chasing my dreams, sort of. There are some who envy my dedication. Others are quite aware that I'm full of shit. The truth is that we all do what comes easiest. The only difference is that my imagination has been running wild for years and I only just now grabbed the reigns.

My long list of achievements includes quitting or getting fired from 70 jobs. Of the 700+ articles I have written a mere 7 made it to print (Only one was paid). I have been turned down by every publisher and agent I have queried in the last 20 years. The only mountain bikes races I won were the ones with no competition in my class. I never needed to lie about any of these things. When you compete, people assume that you are an amazing athlete. When you get published once, people assume that you get published often. That's right I'm blaming you audience!

Why am I kicking this trash down the hallway? Because I'm over it. Granted it took a long time. I know I'm never going to be some incredible athlete. There is no Olympic medal in my future. My face will never be on a Wheaties box. Probably not going to host Saturday Night Live. Probably not going to be a guest on The Daily Show.

Don't get me wrong I'm still exercising but I'm done posting event stories where I happen to score a colored ribbon. I might take a few pictures here and there but I'm done spending countless hours splicing internet videos. If all of this sounds a bit depressing, it should. I put years of hard work into these side projects only to discover that there was no way to sustain them. Many people don't set their goals high enough, I set mine too high. I'm tired of being crushed under the weight of my own expectations.

So, what happens next? Now I get to focus on creating something meaningful without distractions. Twisted Trails has been the most successful product I have ever produced. That is something worthy to be built upon. I currently have a working copy of Twisted Trails 2 and I'm deep into the rewrites. From this time forward this blog will be dedicated to all things Twisted. If I can harness all of my energy into one project maybe my expectations will not seem so far fetched.

Stick with me folks, there are still great things to come. Alex H


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CST Patrol MTB Tire Review

I've always been a sucker for cheap tires. In part because I'm a starving artist but also because riders tend to pay too much when it comes to upgrading their bikes. For example: How often have you seen a recreational rider purchase top of the line tires because they save him a few grams in weight? In most cases, if you really want to cut a few grams put down the cheeseburger. When it comes to mountain bike tires my measurement of quality sits at the apex between cost and consistency. For this reason I'm a huge fan of Schwalbe's Rapid Rob tires ( Read that review here ). While I'm still running a Rapid Rob on the front of my bike, I decided to try something new on the rear. Something even cheaper. Introducing the CST Patrol. For about $26. the 26" by 2.25" version of the CST Patrol is uber cheap. You get a wire bead, a weight of 780 grams with a single rubber compound but no EPS (Exceptional Puncture Safety) which can be found on other ve

Schwalbe Rapid Rob MTB Tire Review

Schwalbe has an excellent reputation for putting out stellar, high quality MTB tires. The up side has been their grip and superior compounds, the down side has been their prices, that is until now. The New Rapid Rob follows a long tradition of tires named with the alliterative double R, like Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron. Not a bad tradition to be a part of. So, what is different with the Rapid Rob that we haven't seen before? I bought a pair of 26 by 2.10 and put them on my bike to find out.

Bike Review: 2014 Raleigh Talus 29er

I have only ever tested a handful of 29ers. I generally found them to be more stable, aggressive on technical downhills with laid out geometry that felt race focused. While that sense of balance and control left a positive impression, I have never been able to afford such a beast. However, I will get to race one. Bicycles International of Venice and Luksha Reconstruction noticed my recent boost in name recognition, mostly due to the popularity of my book Twisted Trails . Then I told them about my ambitious racing schedule so they decided to sponsor me for the 2015 season. What I needed most was a bike good enough for cross country racing and gravel grinders. It didn't have to be a world beater but it had to stand a step above my now beat up Trek Four Series. Admittedly, that would be an easy task. "What kind of bikes do you see at the races?" asked Jason Luksha, owner of Luksha Reconstruction. While the trends have been fluctuating over the years between 26, 27