Skip to main content

2014 Nashbar SingleSpeed CX


It's not easy to compete on a budget but there are ways. The online retailer Nashbar has thrown a bone to cyclocross enthusiasts with an entry level single-speed bike meant to stand up to the rigors of a rugged sport. I snagged one during a Memorial Day sale for only $425. after taxes and shipping. It came right on schedule in about five business days, shipped in a box and hugged lovingly with bubble wrap.

Right from the start I was happy with the attractiveness of the parts. The Chromoly frame is a beautiful dark blue covered in clear coat. Chrome fixtures made it shine and everything clicked into place so easily. I'm a pretty terrible mechanic so if I can put this bike together, anyone can.


As for the pieces and parts, it's a mixed bag of you get what you pay for. I've read in other reviews that people immediately swapped out the pedals. Once I saw what they were, I didn't even unwrap them. The Velo VL-1205 seat is usually the next to go but I was surprised how easily I was able to slide around on it. Two rides later I had changed my mind. I pulled the seat post/saddle out of my Trek 4 Series but it was too large. However, I was able to pull the seat post/saddle out of my Felt BMX bike and it fit perfectly.

The tires are a conundrum. The 700 by 32 Kenda Small Block Eights do seem a little thin but the grip is fine. I will probably want a more aggressive tread on a wider tire but I want to see what they can endure before I trade up. They do provide a quiet ride, just don't jump off any curbs.


I kicked the pavement with a half dozen short rides of under five miles. The bike does not inspire confidence from the start, it has to be earned. This is probably a good policy with most entry level bikes. You never know where the manufacturer might have skimped in order to make a profit so be cautious.

My fourth ride was 10 miles long including road, sand, grass and gravel. The dismounts were easy, the frame is light even for chromoly steel. Running and jumping with the bike were almost an afterthought. Perhaps I'm just so used to hefting my 30 pound Trek that everything else feels like a paperweight.


Now let's talk gears. I'm new to riding a single speed and I don't want to get all philosophical about the experience, not in this article anyway (Stay tuned). The Nashbar single-speed comes equipped with a 46 tooth chain ring and 17 tooth freewheel. This is a huge gear to wrestle with. Once I get used to pushing it, I'll be able to use this gear for street riding but little else. This will be my be next fix. Update: I traded the 46 tooth for a 42 and now I can ride off road. It still might need a change depending on the racecourse.

Acceptable parts include Tektro alloy brakes which work adequately, though are a little on the weak side. The Velo Ergo grip handlebar wrapping is tight and comfortable. It's a keeper.

I think that is beyond dispute that this bike is worth the money. It's inexpensive, easy to assemble and has become a fun ride. I will be cutting my review short because I have yet to take this bike on any real adventures. In the future I will update this article (And future articles) with my exploits. As I enter my first season of cyclocross racing you can bet I'll be putting it through hell so be sure to check back.


Update: After putting the original seat/post back on, I took the bike on some longer rides. It proved surprisingly nimble on my local mountain bike trails including an off road crit, plus I stayed with the lead group on a large casual off road ride at Little Everglades Ranch. On road I came within 1 minute of my personal record at a time trial plus I took it out on a 22 mile road ride that was very comfortable.

Update: This bike was used for my first CX race. The weight was no problem, the handling remained true and I was able to compete against riders with $$$$ bikes. I completed 4 races with 2 podiums. However, the bottom bracket took a beating so when I later tried a gravel grinder ride it finally came loose and needed to be replaced. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CST Patrol MTB Tire Review

I've always been a sucker for cheap tires. In part because I'm a starving artist but also because riders tend to pay too much when it comes to upgrading their bikes. For example: How often have you seen a recreational rider purchase top of the line tires because they save him a few grams in weight? In most cases, if you really want to cut a few grams put down the cheeseburger. When it comes to mountain bike tires my measurement of quality sits at the apex between cost and consistency. For this reason I'm a huge fan of Schwalbe's Rapid Rob tires ( Read that review here ). While I'm still running a Rapid Rob on the front of my bike, I decided to try something new on the rear. Something even cheaper. Introducing the CST Patrol. For about $26. the 26" by 2.25" version of the CST Patrol is uber cheap. You get a wire bead, a weight of 780 grams with a single rubber compound but no EPS (Exceptional Puncture Safety) which can be found on other ve

Schwalbe Rapid Rob MTB Tire Review

Schwalbe has an excellent reputation for putting out stellar, high quality MTB tires. The up side has been their grip and superior compounds, the down side has been their prices, that is until now. The New Rapid Rob follows a long tradition of tires named with the alliterative double R, like Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron. Not a bad tradition to be a part of. So, what is different with the Rapid Rob that we haven't seen before? I bought a pair of 26 by 2.10 and put them on my bike to find out.

Bike Review: 2014 Raleigh Talus 29er

I have only ever tested a handful of 29ers. I generally found them to be more stable, aggressive on technical downhills with laid out geometry that felt race focused. While that sense of balance and control left a positive impression, I have never been able to afford such a beast. However, I will get to race one. Bicycles International of Venice and Luksha Reconstruction noticed my recent boost in name recognition, mostly due to the popularity of my book Twisted Trails . Then I told them about my ambitious racing schedule so they decided to sponsor me for the 2015 season. What I needed most was a bike good enough for cross country racing and gravel grinders. It didn't have to be a world beater but it had to stand a step above my now beat up Trek Four Series. Admittedly, that would be an easy task. "What kind of bikes do you see at the races?" asked Jason Luksha, owner of Luksha Reconstruction. While the trends have been fluctuating over the years between 26, 27