Skip to main content

The 2013 Resolution Run 5K


We do it every year. We resolve to make our lives a little better, a little happier, a little healthier. How fitting is it that the South County Family YMCA decided to name a race after such a transformative intention. Starting off the New Year with a 5K run is a declaration of all three desires and yet it is also so much more.



The sun was nowhere to be seen on the morning of January 5th as riders gathered under the pavilion shuffling to stay warm. It was only 55 degrees but the ocean breeze was edging 15mph. The runners engaged in small talk, did dynamic stretching and took laps around the pond at Maxine Barrett Park until the watch struck 7:15am. That's when the gathering began.


Two hundred and forty athletes both recreational and serious filled the street as the police desperately tried to redirect traffic. The start line was marked by a wildly waving sign from a sponsor Real Bikes of Venice. The wind spitefully picked up a little as someone in the crowd playfully instigated false starts that no one fell for. A few minutes past 7:30 the fun began.


Most big races begin with a decent mass start where the elites take off and others filter to the back. The Resolution Run was the fastest start I have ever been a part of. I tried to pace several runners who moved away at an amazing rate. Finally I latched onto one guy with a white shirt and white hair who kept checking his watch. I stayed within five feet of him all the way to the one mile marker where we crossed the line at 7:46. It was already a personal best for me but I wasn't sure how long I could keep it up.

Shortly after the one mile marker we started to see the leaders who had already made the turn around at Caspersen Beach and now whipped past us heading back. It is always awesome to watch the elites, John Wood (17:45), Ricardo Lomas (18:17) and Heather Butcher (18:24) took the top three overall spots.


I like turn arounds in races, don't ask me why. Maybe it's because you get to see where you are in the larger scheme of the race or maybe it is something more personal. I saw a father high five his wife and kid as he was heading back and they were still moving forward. I saw a lady on hand powered bike pedaling with weary arms. I saw parent's urging their kids to keep going for, "Just a little longer."

The final loop around the pond would have been the most fun if I wasn't suffering so much. A few guys that looked my age passed me with only a short distance to go. The fast start had finally caught up with me as I started to fade. Giving it every last ounce of energy allowed me to stay true to my rhythm and cross the line with a new personal best - 25:52. Awards were going 5 deep but even so when my name was called for fifth place I was elated.


As with all of these, the race was also a social event. I got the opportunity to meet some of my fellow Zoomers as well as other runners some visiting from as far away as Illinois. My Resolution this year involves waking up early to train nearly every day. I actually started doing that around Christmas but so far, so good. The Resolution Run was an encouraging start to what could be an Epic New Year.

For you photophiles out there, I brought the camera along but with the dark skies and a shady pavilion I only took about 30 shots. They are posted on Facebook so feel free to tag away.

Resolution Run 5K Photos

Crossing the line at 25:52

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CST Patrol MTB Tire Review

I've always been a sucker for cheap tires. In part because I'm a starving artist but also because riders tend to pay too much when it comes to upgrading their bikes. For example: How often have you seen a recreational rider purchase top of the line tires because they save him a few grams in weight? In most cases, if you really want to cut a few grams put down the cheeseburger. When it comes to mountain bike tires my measurement of quality sits at the apex between cost and consistency. For this reason I'm a huge fan of Schwalbe's Rapid Rob tires ( Read that review here ). While I'm still running a Rapid Rob on the front of my bike, I decided to try something new on the rear. Something even cheaper. Introducing the CST Patrol. For about $26. the 26" by 2.25" version of the CST Patrol is uber cheap. You get a wire bead, a weight of 780 grams with a single rubber compound but no EPS (Exceptional Puncture Safety) which can be found on other ve

Schwalbe Rapid Rob MTB Tire Review

Schwalbe has an excellent reputation for putting out stellar, high quality MTB tires. The up side has been their grip and superior compounds, the down side has been their prices, that is until now. The New Rapid Rob follows a long tradition of tires named with the alliterative double R, like Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron. Not a bad tradition to be a part of. So, what is different with the Rapid Rob that we haven't seen before? I bought a pair of 26 by 2.10 and put them on my bike to find out.

Bike Review: 2014 Raleigh Talus 29er

I have only ever tested a handful of 29ers. I generally found them to be more stable, aggressive on technical downhills with laid out geometry that felt race focused. While that sense of balance and control left a positive impression, I have never been able to afford such a beast. However, I will get to race one. Bicycles International of Venice and Luksha Reconstruction noticed my recent boost in name recognition, mostly due to the popularity of my book Twisted Trails . Then I told them about my ambitious racing schedule so they decided to sponsor me for the 2015 season. What I needed most was a bike good enough for cross country racing and gravel grinders. It didn't have to be a world beater but it had to stand a step above my now beat up Trek Four Series. Admittedly, that would be an easy task. "What kind of bikes do you see at the races?" asked Jason Luksha, owner of Luksha Reconstruction. While the trends have been fluctuating over the years between 26, 27