Skip to main content

Finding Rhythm on the Legacy Trail


As a Mountain Biker in Florida I have to spend a lot of time on the concrete. However, that doesn't necessarily have to remove me from nature. I was helping my wife with a pet sitting job and just by odd circumstance we happened to be staying near the Venice to Sarasota Rail-Trail, otherwise known as the Legacy Trail.

Rail Trails are a series of paths being built all over the country. Old rail lines long past destroyed are now being converted into bike trails. I decided to give this one a try.


I started at the Mission Valley entrance on Laurel Rd in Nokomis. I already had a two mile warm-up so the moment I hit the path I was able to go all out. I clicked up to the top gear and settled into the time trial position.

A Rail Trail is unlike other paths for many reasons but the first and most obvious is that it is still surrounded by nature and teeming with wildlife. The Legacy trail is one long, uninterrupted stretch flanked by Florida scrub brush and marshlands. Half a mile onto the trail two Raccoons crossed right in front of me, I also saw two snakes and three Gopher turtles.


The trail is well maintained. It has multiple rest stops complete with benches that have some protection from the rain and there are even signs that explain about the local wildlife. The atmosphere on the trail is very biker friendly. I saw 30 riders in my short time there. They ranged from senior citizens on lofty cruisers to hardcore cyclists whizzing by with their legs pumping hard and their eyes on the ground. You get that feeling of being part of a larger community.


In addition to the nature views on both sides there some other distractions that give the trail some depth. First off I thought it was cool that it went under State Road 681. There is a trail entrance to Oscar Scherer State Park complete with park map. One of the creek bridges passes by a remnant of the old train tracks kept in place as a reminder of times past. There are even mile markers to give you an idea of your approximate location when you are far from a street crossing.


My 23 mile journey was enjoyed under cloudy skies and at top speed. I cruised all the way up to Palmer Ranch Parkway and then rode for a few miles on Honore Road where, coincidentally, I race the Tempo and Timmy's Time Trial once a month. I was making such great time that I didn't want to stop so I took these pictures while I was riding.

While I don't recommend my version of high speed photography, I do recommend the Legacy Trail for recreational riding or fitness training. With great views, nice people and lots of nature you can't go wrong.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CST Patrol MTB Tire Review

I've always been a sucker for cheap tires. In part because I'm a starving artist but also because riders tend to pay too much when it comes to upgrading their bikes. For example: How often have you seen a recreational rider purchase top of the line tires because they save him a few grams in weight? In most cases, if you really want to cut a few grams put down the cheeseburger. When it comes to mountain bike tires my measurement of quality sits at the apex between cost and consistency. For this reason I'm a huge fan of Schwalbe's Rapid Rob tires ( Read that review here ). While I'm still running a Rapid Rob on the front of my bike, I decided to try something new on the rear. Something even cheaper. Introducing the CST Patrol. For about $26. the 26" by 2.25" version of the CST Patrol is uber cheap. You get a wire bead, a weight of 780 grams with a single rubber compound but no EPS (Exceptional Puncture Safety) which can be found on other ve

Schwalbe Rapid Rob MTB Tire Review

Schwalbe has an excellent reputation for putting out stellar, high quality MTB tires. The up side has been their grip and superior compounds, the down side has been their prices, that is until now. The New Rapid Rob follows a long tradition of tires named with the alliterative double R, like Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron. Not a bad tradition to be a part of. So, what is different with the Rapid Rob that we haven't seen before? I bought a pair of 26 by 2.10 and put them on my bike to find out.

Bike Review: 2014 Raleigh Talus 29er

I have only ever tested a handful of 29ers. I generally found them to be more stable, aggressive on technical downhills with laid out geometry that felt race focused. While that sense of balance and control left a positive impression, I have never been able to afford such a beast. However, I will get to race one. Bicycles International of Venice and Luksha Reconstruction noticed my recent boost in name recognition, mostly due to the popularity of my book Twisted Trails . Then I told them about my ambitious racing schedule so they decided to sponsor me for the 2015 season. What I needed most was a bike good enough for cross country racing and gravel grinders. It didn't have to be a world beater but it had to stand a step above my now beat up Trek Four Series. Admittedly, that would be an easy task. "What kind of bikes do you see at the races?" asked Jason Luksha, owner of Luksha Reconstruction. While the trends have been fluctuating over the years between 26, 27