Skip to main content

Wet Behind the Ears


It was one of those days when almost everything went right. Great weather, amazing track, solid opponents, good health and rising confidence. With all of those pluses you could only imagine that I was shredding in style but you would be wrong. The truth is that I got smoked.

Orlando BMX is a long, completely clay track with high dusty berms. It has a fantastic starting hill, perfect downward angle and an exhilarating first jump. I'll admit that it took a few laps before overcoming the fear of hitting that jump at full speed. Once the jitters were replaced with eagerness, it was on!


As we lined up for the first moto I looked at my opponents - William, Rodrigo and Samuel. They were all more experienced and a couple of them knew this track by heart. Calculating my chances was easy but still I decided to use the first moto to see how we measured up.

The gate snapped down but I missed it. By the time I reached the first jump they were already in front of me. I spent the rest of the lap seeing if my pedaling could catch anyone in the corners. Nope, by the final straight I had fallen further behind.


Second moto, now there were three of us. The gate snapped and I missed it. Once again I started behind with no prospect of catching up. This time it was clear what went wrong. My frustration was palpable. My friends noticed the problem.

"The gate went down and then you snapped forward. Your snap was fine but your tire was still behind the gate instead of over it." Stephen Gerardi recognized my down mood but reminded me that I had only been racing for a year. "Alex, I've been racing since I was twelve. It takes a long time to learn this stuff. You've already learned so much. Imagine where you'll be in seven years."

Photo by Michelle Pineda
While I know that Stephen is right, seven years is a long way off. My focus was on the day at hand. There would only be two if us in the third moto and I still had a chance. I stood where I could see the gate and hear the commands. I watched the gate drop over and over timing the cadence in my head until the count was memorized.

Photo by Michelle Pineda
Rodrigo and I got on the gate. I set my body position, waited for the command, counted too quickly and thunk. I hit the gate. My day of racing was over.

So, there is no question what I need to learn. Pondering through the night I accepted the outcome but instead of letting it get me down, I moved on. Terri and I hit a water park the next day to drown my depression on the slides of Aquatica. The added bonus of racing in Orlando is that there are plenty of other things to do if you have a bad day. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CST Patrol MTB Tire Review

I've always been a sucker for cheap tires. In part because I'm a starving artist but also because riders tend to pay too much when it comes to upgrading their bikes. For example: How often have you seen a recreational rider purchase top of the line tires because they save him a few grams in weight? In most cases, if you really want to cut a few grams put down the cheeseburger. When it comes to mountain bike tires my measurement of quality sits at the apex between cost and consistency. For this reason I'm a huge fan of Schwalbe's Rapid Rob tires ( Read that review here ). While I'm still running a Rapid Rob on the front of my bike, I decided to try something new on the rear. Something even cheaper. Introducing the CST Patrol. For about $26. the 26" by 2.25" version of the CST Patrol is uber cheap. You get a wire bead, a weight of 780 grams with a single rubber compound but no EPS (Exceptional Puncture Safety) which can be found on other ve

Schwalbe Rapid Rob MTB Tire Review

Schwalbe has an excellent reputation for putting out stellar, high quality MTB tires. The up side has been their grip and superior compounds, the down side has been their prices, that is until now. The New Rapid Rob follows a long tradition of tires named with the alliterative double R, like Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron. Not a bad tradition to be a part of. So, what is different with the Rapid Rob that we haven't seen before? I bought a pair of 26 by 2.10 and put them on my bike to find out.

Bike Review: 2014 Raleigh Talus 29er

I have only ever tested a handful of 29ers. I generally found them to be more stable, aggressive on technical downhills with laid out geometry that felt race focused. While that sense of balance and control left a positive impression, I have never been able to afford such a beast. However, I will get to race one. Bicycles International of Venice and Luksha Reconstruction noticed my recent boost in name recognition, mostly due to the popularity of my book Twisted Trails . Then I told them about my ambitious racing schedule so they decided to sponsor me for the 2015 season. What I needed most was a bike good enough for cross country racing and gravel grinders. It didn't have to be a world beater but it had to stand a step above my now beat up Trek Four Series. Admittedly, that would be an easy task. "What kind of bikes do you see at the races?" asked Jason Luksha, owner of Luksha Reconstruction. While the trends have been fluctuating over the years between 26, 27